Black Wainscoting Bathroom
My bathroom vanity is almost finished. I just have to do one more coat of paint on the vanity and two of the doors, and then clear coat the whole thing. Then I can get everything assembled (sink, countertop, faucet, cabinet doors) and put into place in the bathroom. But before I do that, I really need to decide what color I want on the wainscoting. Black wainscoting? White wainscoting? I'd like to get it painted today, but I'm having such a hard time deciding.
I did finally make a decision on the vanity color. I went with green. It's a shade somewhere between the green that's in the bathroom wall design and the green that's on the back entry walls. (It's all the same color — Behr Hills of Ireland — just mixed with varying amounts of white.)
There will eventually be some wide white casing around that bathroom door to separate the green on the back entry walls from the green on the vanity. And the red oak floor, which looks terribly drab right now since it's covered in troweled-on wood filler for hardwood floors, will be sanded and whitewashed.
But on to the subject at hand. What color for the wainscoting? I did two very quick mock ups. They're not great (pretty terrible, in fact), but they give a general idea of what each one will look like.
First, keep in mind:
- The floors will be whitewashed oak.
- The bathroom door (along with the French doors in the back entry and the storage closet door) will be black.
- All of the doors will have wide white casings exactly like all of the other door and window casings in the rest of the house.
- The back entry floor will have a bold black and white painted chevron design.
- All metal accents in the bathroom — faucet, vanity light, and cabinet pulls on the vanity — are black.
- I'm not going to have a backsplash in the bathroom. There will just be a simple chair rail right above vanity countertop level, and the chair rail and everything under it will be painted either black or white.
So with that established, here's an idea of what black wainscoting would look like…
If I go with black wainscoting, I'll still use white casings on the window and white on the crown molding. I had entertained the thought of doing all of the trim in the room black — window casing, door casing on the bathroom side, and crown molding — but the more I look at pictures of rooms with all black trim, the less appealing it looks to me, especially black crown molding. So the black would just be on the chair rail, the wall and trim below the chair rail, and the baseboards. So you have to imagine black wainscoting and baseboards next to whitewashed oak floors.
The other option is to go with white wainscoting. The chair rail and wall in the picture below just have primer on them, so white paint would be lighter and brighter (like the countertop), but this at least gives a general idea of what white would look like.
So I'd have white painted walls next to whitewashed floors. That's a lot of light and bright.
There are two more things to consider. First, the toilet is white. So I'll either have a white toilet against black wainscoting, which will make it really stand out. Or I'll have a white toilet against white wainscoting, which will make it blend in and kind of disappear.
So that's a definite +1 for white wainscoting, in my opinion.
On the other hand, the black looks amazing with the black French doors in the back entry.
Right?! I think that looks amazing! Of course, that black wainscoting will also have a white toilet in front of it. *Sigh*
Anyway, right now, I need to focus on finishing up the vanity and getting all of that put back together. But in the meantime, feel free to share your thoughts on the black vs. white wainscoting.
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you'll join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you want to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and have each new post delivered to your email inbox. That way you'll never miss a thing!
Source: https://www.addicted2decorating.com/bathroom-details-black-wainscoting-or-white-wainscoting.html







Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar